Friday, March 7, 2008

Red Velvet is Basically Chocolate Cake (?)

My good friend Sara recently suggested buying a $70.00 red velvet cake for a friend's karaoke birthday party. To save money, I offered to make it myself. The only problem is that red velvet cake does not come in a box.

After walking all around Greenpoint in a torrential downpour, I entered what my roommate promised was the biggest grocery store in town. It was clearly the largest selection of cake mixes I would be able to find, but alas, no red velvet.

Remembering that red velvet is a form of chocolate cake, I bought a box of devil's food chocolate mix, and a bottle of red sprinkles. I mixed the red sprinkles into the chocolate batter and cooked it up. At present, the cake has a reddish brown hue but does not look or taste at all like red velvet cake. I am hoping this is sufficient to fool a dimly lit room full of drunk people.

1 comment:

Alison Byrne said...

re: "I am hoping this is sufficient to fool a dimly lit room full of drunk people."
It was not.