Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dandelion Fritters Success

Loosely following a recipe idea from Kimberly Gallagher of Learning Herbs, today I made dandelion fritters. The roommates were a little skeptical at first, but after giving them a try, we all agreed they were a tasty treat.

Step one was to gather some dandelion flowers. We had plenty in the front yard.









Next I mixed the petals only (no greens) into a basic batter - 1 cup of flour, an egg, milk, and honey. It doesn't get much easier than that.

I put them in a skillet with some vegetable oil and fried them up pancake style. Then I sprinkled sugar over the finished product. I think powdered sugar would be delicious if you have it handy.

An alternative that Kimberly suggests is to dip the individual flowers in the batter and then fry. This would give you very cool, bite-sized fritters. I opted to mix all my petals evenly for consistency and make larger fritters, but either way would work.

And there you go. Yum!

2 comments:

Alison Byrne said...

We have powdered sugar! Now you have to make more to test it out on me...

Katie P. B. said...

oh dang. i couldn't find it!